5690 Leander was built at Crewe in 1936 for the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. For the majority of its years in service, Leander worked in the Midlands. After the nationalisation of the railways in 1948, the locomotive was re-numbered 45690, but carried on much the same as before.
The engine was withdrawn in 1964, and was sent to the scrapyard in Barry, South Wales. It was rescued from here in 1972, and was restored to its original LMS livery and number. After a spell on the Severn Valley Railway, Leander now runs on the East Lancashire Railway.