'Black 5' 45305 was built in Newcastle in 1936 for the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, and spent most of its working life in the North West of England. Having never been given a name in service, the engine was known as LMS 5305 until it became British Rail 45305 in 1948. The name 'Black 5' comes from its Class, and was never an individual name for this engine.
The locomotive remained in service until August 1968 - the final month of steam operation on British Rail - but was then sold for scrap. Luckily, the scrapyard owner saved 45305, simply because it was the cleanest engine in the yard.
45305 was restored to its former glory in 2003 by the Great Central Railway, where it is still based today.