Let GRJ independent tailor make your ideal African tour. Travel independently with Britain's No.1 rail holiday company.
The best of Africa
South Africa's landscapes encompass mountain ranges, deserts, vast open savannah, rainforest and almost every other terrain in between. Renowned for its diverse landscapes and astonishing beauty,
Africa's wealth of natural highlights range from the spectacular Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe to Cape Town's iconic Table Mountain. It's other major cities, such as Durban, Pretoria and Johannesburg, are thoroughly modern and multi cultural.
Benefits of rail
There are many extraordinary experiences to be enjoyed on one of GRJ independent rail holidays in South Africa.
Travelling in comfort and style aboard a luxury train, you can toast another South African sunset with champagne in the dining car, five star dining, polished wooden interiors and 24-hour room service make these some of the most luxurious train journeys in the world.
Cape Town to Pretoria
The famous route of the Blue Train covers 994 miles between Pretoria in the north and the southern coastal city of Cape Town, a full 27-hour journey. The 'rolling five-star hotel' makes just one stop either way, calling at Matjiesfontein on its journey northwards, and in the old diamond mines of Kimberley as the train returns to Cape Town in the south.
- Fly directly to Cape Town from London
- During your time in South Africa's cultural capital there's plenty of activities you could participate in. Riding the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway is, for many, the highlight of any South Africa holiday and there's also stunning beaches and expansive vineyards to explore nearby
- After a few days' sightseeing, transfer to the station where you'll begin your journey on the iconic Blue Train. A Blue Train butler will escort you to your cabin and provide an orientation of the train before inviting you for brunch
- Your journey will include one or two guided visits, such as Matjiesfontaine, an historic Karoo village dating back to the early 1900s, or Kimberley
- Enjoy breakfast aboard as you travel towards the sprawling city of Johannesburg. Continue on to Pretoria, the administrative capital of South Africa, where you disembark
- Spend the rest of the day or longer, exploring at leisure before your flight back to the UK
Dar Es Salaam to Cape Town
The Pride of Africa also operates an itinerary running from Dar Es Salaam all the way to Cape Town over the course of 16 days. Along the way you'll be able to take in the thundering Victoria Falls, as well as wonder at the marvellous species wildlife that are resident in this part of the world.
- Take an overnight flight to Dar es Salaam in Tanzania
- Located next to the Indian Ocean, there's plenty of authentic experiences to be had from craft markets to nearby sandy beaches
- Board the Pride of Africa and begin your journey south
- In Tanzania make a stop at Selous Game Reserve, Africa's largest park and a UNESCO World Heritage site. The park offers a vision of a timeless Africa, one that is a sanctuary for elephants, hippos and buffalo
- Visit Makambako, a traditional Tanzanian town
- Admire the views as the Pride of Africa descends from the valleys of Mbeya to the Zambian border. Disembark at Kasama for an excursion to the stunning Chishimba Falls
- A real highlight of your trip awaits in Livingstone, the gateway to Victoria Falls. Known as 'the smoke that thunders' the falls are generally seen as one of the world's finest natural wonders
- Enjoy a cruise on the Zambezi River
- Relax on board as you journey through Botswana, crossing the Tropic of Capricorn as you go
- Leaving the train in Gaborone, transfer to the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa for multiple game drives
- Rail into Pretoria for a guided tour
- Discover the mining history of Kimberley before arriving in Cape Town, where you can extend your holiday if you so choose
- Fly home to the UK
The Blue Train
As luxury train rides go, it would be misguided to not consider
South Africa's the Blue Train amongst the very best. A ticket on
the iconic route from Pretoria to Cape Town will include Havana
cigars, a personal butler service, windows tinted with gold and a
wine list worthy of royalty. All cabins are equipped with private
shower and toilet, designed to help you discover the magic of this
stunning African nation in absolute comfort.
The Pride of Africa
Operated by the private, family-run Rovos Rail, the elegant Pride of Africa lives up to its name and is described by its operator as 'the world's most luxurious train'. All cabins are equipped with private bathroom and toilet and each of the Pride of Africa's lovingly-restored Pullman-style carriages is finished in polished teak, and decorated and furnished in the opulent and decadently comfortable style of the 1920s, recalling the halcyon days of luxury rail travel at its most romantic.
Suggested Africa Itineraries
The Itineraries shown are intended to give an overview of what is possible and are by no means the only options available, designed to offer an idea of all the places you could visit and give you an overview of each destination. We arrange holidays to suit all tastes and budgets, so you can pick and choose from below or come up with something completely unique.
Call our Tailor-Made Holiday Specialists on