Escorted Rail Tours to Alnwick Gardens
Landscaped by Capability Brown
The vast complex of formal gardens around Alnwick Castle was originally landscaped in 1750 by renowned gardener Capability Brown, and many dukes added to Alnwick Gardens, each making welcome alterations during their time in charge. By the end of the 19th century the estate boasted avenues of limes, and greenhouses filled with pineapples and other exotic fruits.
During the Second World War, the garden was handed over for the 'Dig for Victory' campaign, and successfully provided food to many; however, the austerity of the years that followed saw the garden fall into disrepair. The current Duchess of Northumberland instigated the garden's redevelopment in the 1990s, and since then it has welcomed a wide range of amazing features, such as a cascading fountain with 21 weirs, and one of the world's largest tree-houses.