Châlon-sur-Saône's history can be traced back to about 354 AD, when the Roman Emperor Constantius II stationed troops here to protect the region from the threat of attack. From here the settlement grew and by the Middle Ages the town had become an important trading post thanks to its advantageous riverside position. In later years the town also acted as a port, transporting the region's famous wines. Yet perhaps Chalon-sur-Saône's finest hour came in 1827, when Nicéphore Niepce produced the world's first durable photograph: 'View from the Window at Le Gras'.
The beautiful town has much to recommend it today; not only its attractive clutch of authentic, half-timbered houses, but also the mighty neo-classical Cathedral of St Vincent, which dominates the town's skyline.