Train des Mouettes
The railroad between La Tremblade and Saujon originally opened in
1875. In spite of the beautiful coastal scenery that the line
passed through, it never handled large numbers of passengers, and
from 1938 the railroad only handled freight.
This was not a popular decision with local people, but whilst the
railroad was still a working line nothing could be done. So, when
the railroad finally closed in 1980, the preservation movement was
rapid, and the first heritage trains ran in 1984. Although
ownership has changed a few times, the line has remained a firm
favourite with both tourists and locals ever since. It has now been
nicknamed the "Train des Mouettes" (Train of the
Seagulls), thanks to the seaside route it goes through.