The Tralee & Blennerville Railway
The Tralee & Blennerville Steam Railway was
originally opened as part of the Tralee & Dingle Light Railway
in 1891. From its opening, the line struggled to cover its
operating expenses, and when the area's roads were improved in the
1903s, its fate was sealed. All passenger services were withdrawn
in 1939, and the line was effectively closed in 1947.
In 1993, the section between Tralee and Blennerville Windmill was restored and reopened as a heritage railway, to maximise panoramas of the attractive surrounding countryside. The railway runs occasional steam services, though many trains are hauled by heritage diesels.