The Santuário Bom Jesús do Monte ("Shrine of Good Jesus of the Mountain") is a hilltop Catholic pilgrimage site located a few miles from Braga. In 1722 the Archbishop of Braga commissioned the construction of a Sacred Way, so the faithful could walk the Stations of the Cross for penance and contemplation. It was completed in 1811. Although it has no associations with any visions or saints, it has been a popular place of pilgrimage ever since.
Made of dark granite covered in bright white plaster, the Sacred Way is a Baroque double staircase with several switchbacks. The numerous landings and the grounds of the sanctuary are filled with interesting gardens, grottoes, small chapels, sculptures, and allegorical fountains. The first fountain symbolizes the wounds of Christ, the next five the senses, and the final three the virtues. The Baroque basilica at the top is 1312 feet (400 metres) above sea level and provides a sweeping view of Braga and the beaches of Esposende and Viana do Castelo.