The town of Bückeburg in Lower Saxony is home to Bückeburg Palace, ancestral seat of the Princes of Schaumburg-Lippe. The palace has been owned by the same family for 700 years. The palace is located in Bückeburg town centre, surrounded by a wide moat and extensive wooded gardens. The four-winged Renaissance palace, originally built in 1622, has Baroque and Rococco features which were added after fire destroyed part of the castle in 1732.
One of the most famous features at Bückeburg Palace is the 400-year-old Princely Court Riding School. The stable at Bückeburg are home to noble stallions from a variety of breeds including Lusitano, Andalusian, Karthäuser and Italian Murghese. The Princely Riding School still operates as a working school, with exceptional students hand-picked from all over Europe to enhance their skills and take part in public performances. Dressed in traditional Baroque costumes, riders at the public shows display a range of dressage skills from different periods of history.