The town of Coburg stands on the banks of the River Itz in the Upper Franconia region of Bavaria. It served as one of the capitals of the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha until 1918. On a hill above the town is Veste Coburg, a castle where Martin Luther is known to have stayed while being declared as an outlaw by the Holy Roman Empire. The castle has a museum and enjoys superb views across the town and the surrounding countryside.
One of the most important buildings in Coburg is the Ehrenburg Palace, the residence of the Coburg dukes. Originally built in 1543, Ehrenburg was completely rebuilt as a Baroque complex in 1690, with three separate wings. The Palace Church and the mighty Hall of Giants were added during this rebuilding. In the 19th century, renovation work included the addition of neo-Gothic façades as well as lavish interior redecoration which transformed the state and residential apartments in the Empire style. Queen Victoria, who married Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, had a bedroom at Ehrenburg, which is now preserved as a reminder of her many visits to Coburg. Possibly the most striking feature of Schloss Ehrenburg, however, its sheer size; considering the town of Coburg has little over 40,000 residents, the castle is enormous - almost as big as Buckingham Palace.