Châlon-sur-Saône's history can be traced back to about 354 AD,
when the Roman Emperor Constantius II stationed troops here to
protect the region from the threat of attack. From here the
settlement grew and by the Middle Ages the town had become an
important trading post thanks to its advantageous riverside
position. In later years the town also acted as a port,
transporting the region's famous wines. Yet perhaps
Chalon-sur-Saône's finest hour came in 1827, when Nicéphore Niepce
produced the world's first durable photograph: 'View from the
Window at Le Gras'.
The beautiful town has much to recommend it today; not only
its attractive clutch of authentic, half-timbered houses, but also
the mighty neo-classical Cathedral of St Vincent, which dominates
the town's skyline.